- 846 6 april 2015 EN
What’s this? I’m blogging about my work on a weekly basis – a simple way to track and archive whatever it is I spend my time on.
Last week I did a bunch of work for the popular science magazine KIJK: I turned in my fourth tech column, on virtual reality (or as Stanislaw Lem called it, phantomatics), and did a possibly final rewrite of my long article on the theory and advancements of 3D game graphics. The columns are in there on a monthly basis; I’m not sure yet when the 3D piece will be printed.
On Tuesday I had a meeting with Tiziano Perez, managing director of the Dutch Foundation for Literature. We talked about the way the foundation works, my various projects, and the literary landscape in general. It was an energizing conversation, that inspired me to write up a new Hybrid Writer’s Report at long last. I used the report to check in with people involved with my app novella Geometry Girl (and some who are not involved yet), and even as a starting point for a newsletter. I want to do this more often…
Later in the week, I bought proper headphones and started editing my audio interview with Arnon Grunberg. I’m making some changes from the previous run of podcasts, using more music and starting with a longer intro narrative. I might also break out of the interview a couple of times to explain what we’re talking about; let’s see if that works as I intend it to.
Finally, in the ‘random’ category, I…
- Visited Two Tribes on Monday, to talk about the mission structure and storyline of our upcoming shooter/platformer RIVE. The full game is starting to take shape, in broad strokes. We also discussed the marketing of Toki Tori 2+ for PlayStation 4, which is coming this year; I feel that we should be more upfront about its story and gameplay complexity.
- Published two older nrc.next pieces on this website: about the Mean Girls game for iOS on Tuesday, Even relevant als een etui, and about the Tour Bueno project on Thursday, Een gamejammende Eurotrip.
- Worked on my isometric crane game for the first time in a month, during #hobbydev on Wednesday, my weekly game development get-together with Hessel. I figured out the next couple of steps for my prototype, and started hacking away. I think I got the first part done, but there’s still a lot to do.
- Had my article on Mac gaming printed in nrc.next on Thursday (link via Blendle, €): Gamebouwers zien steeds meer in de computers van Apple. I don’t think that headline really captures the article, by the way, but it’s OK.
- Drove to Rotterdam with Filip on Friday, for drinks at Codeglue and hamburgers in the city. I then slowed down for a proper Easter weekend.
Average step count per day: 6.622
Average staircase count per day: 13
Average sleep per night: 6:24
Average weight: 89,3 kg