- 853 26 mei 2015 EN
What’s this? I’m blogging about my work on a weekly basis – a simple way to track and archive whatever it is I spend my time on.
Last week I wrote a bunch for Home Rule (working title), a children’s game for war museums by Hubbub that I will handle the copy for. Still figuring out what the characters, mission objectives and game flow will be. I checked in with my coworkers twice and brainstormed the final title, too.
On Thursday I gave this year’s last practical writing class to Games & Interaction students at the HKU, which was a bit of a relief. Immediately afterwards I chatted with course leader Teun Dubbelman, thinking about ways my class could be improved the next time. Looking forward to that.
On Tuesday I met up with Peter van der Ploeg and Romy van der Poel at nrc.next. These are interesting times at the paper, but we still managed to talk about how we should cover the alien world of games; I’ve drafted two or three pieces since the meeting.
In the hybrid writer’s department, I posted something on the Geometry Girl website, Pre-visualising the characters, and sent off a newsletter to my valued subscribers. I had dinner (and nerdy writer’s conversation) with Walter van den Berg, and visited Daan Beeke and Niels Bakker at Stichting Lezen. Seems like we’ll be able to do some stuff together.
On Friday I did a short informal talk about ‘literary games’ at the Dutch Foundation for Literature, hopefully getting authors all revved up to go out and meet game makers, and write a proposal for the open call together. Adriaan de Jongh picked up where I left off, and I stayed for drinks afterwards, which’d been a while. It was amusing/interesting.
Finally, in the ‘random’ category, I…
- Visited Two Tribes to check out RIVE’s progress. The plan is looking pretty solid. We spoke about a new trailer and the PS4 version of Toki Tori 2 too.
- Got a permanent Xbox One from Microsoft, on which I installed The Witcher 3. On PS4 I played Toren, so it’s Brazilian and Polish games for me these days. (I’ve also been exchanging emails with the developers of another rather raw Polish game, Hatred.)
- Instead of doing #hobbydev with Hessel, we drove to the nearest IMAX screen to watch Mad Max: Fury Road, which was indeed insanely great; I watched Tomorrowland and the Dutch movie De surprise later in the week. I didn’t care for the first, but was caught off-guard by how good the second was.
- Celebrated my birthday a little bit on Saturday and Sunday, although I don’t actually turn 35 until Wednesday.
- Admittedly late to the party I started watching Girls and really like it.
Average step count per day: 10.489
Average staircase count per day: 13
Average sleep per night: 6:53
Average weight: 90,2 kg