In the end, robot love
Notes on week 854
- 854 4 juni 2015 EN
With these weeknotes I track and archive whatever it is I spend my time on. They’re public so you can keep me in check.
Last week I saved another book from the shredder. Yes, De verdwijners’ first life is already over. There are almost 200 copies left, which I’ll soon start selling here. To enable this I did some work on a refresh of this site (which is where these slightly reformatted weeknotes came from) and had a sudden burst of inspiration for a corporate identity for my sole proprietorship Anticlimax. I’ve hardly used that name but think I’ll start doing so a little bit more.
Meanwhile, work continued on Home Rule (working title), the museum game about freedom (you know, for kids) with Alper and Tim at Hubbub.
Monday was the second day of Pentecost, which is a day off here, but I neglected that and traveled to Two Tribes’ Amersfoort office to work on Toki Tori 2+ for PlayStation 4 / RIVE trailer stuff with Collin.
Characterizing the week’s chaotic, confused nature I celebrated my 35th birthday on Wednesday by waiting for my new MacBook, which ended up arriving a day later. It made me happy, though, after confronting me with my impatience for a slice of aluminum. (The laptop wasn’t a gift. I did get an Aeropress, Michel Houellebecq’s latest novel, some specialty beers and awesome drawings by my daughters.)
Finally, in the ‘random’ category, I…
- Started writing an article about the hybrid writer concept for nrc.next. And drafted a review of Brazilian adventure game Toren and did a bunch of research on the local games scene, but I discarded the piece because of time constraints. I’ll file it under ‘research about Brazilian games’. I also played some The Witcher 3, which I’ll file under ‘research into Polish games’.
- Wrote my sixth technology column for KIJK and rewrote it a based on my editor’s feedback. At first it was about robot hate; in the end, robot love.
- Uploaded Jurjen’s article about his visit to Dutch games company Excamedia on the DGA platform which I contribute to, and worked on other content for it (that I had to delay a bit, unfortunately).
- Received the yearbook of the Creative Industries Fund NL, which contains an extended version of an earlier column. I believe you can order the book for free if you’re interested.
- Attended a screening of Schneider vs. Bax, including a Q&A session with writer/director/star Alex van Warmerdam. The movie was OK, but I loved the experience of being there. (I had to miss #hobbydev for this.)
- Visited the isle of Vlieland for a wedding over the weekend, which was grand.
Average step count per day: 7.209
Average staircase count per day: 18
Average sleep per night: 6:12
Average weight: 90,8 kg