From planning to production
Notes on week 868
- 868 7 september 2015 EN
With these weeknotes I track and archive whatever it is I spend my time on. They’re public so you can keep me in check.
Last week saw a lot of activity around my app novel Geometry Girl, which is now truly shifting from planning to production. It feels a lot less abstract as a result. I walked through the various screens and transitions with Saskia on Thursday, after which I met up with my editor Sander at Atlas Contact; among other things we discussed the necessity to leave behind my producer role for significant chunks of time… and be a writer. Which I did last week, too, though I mainly structured my text and couldn’t find the focus to slam down words. I also discussed the project with SonicPicnic via e-mail, and provided them with some more materials, so they can get started on the audio.
I also tried to pull my work on 2D shooter RIVE together. I’ve been visiting development studio Two Tribes a lot (including last Friday), and I have a ton of ideas and raw materials, but none of it is in the game so far, really. I should get serious about that soon. And I am!
Finally, in the ‘random’ category, I…
- Wrote a new column (number 9) for KIJK about package delivery services, just as an older column (number 4) was published on the magazine’s website.
- Bought a ticket for World Building for Movies and Games, a summit during the Control Conference that sounds highly relevant for a lot my current work.
- #hobbydevved with Hessel, starting a small 2D platformer. It’s going well, especially compared to my very first project when I started tinkering with Game Maker nearly 2,5 years ago, which also was a platformer.
- Started watching Mr. Robot with my buddy Filip, after a lot of hype from friends. The first three episodes left me somewhat underwhelmed, yet intrigued enough to probably finish the first season. There are some (superficial) similarities to Geometry Girl so I can at least learn from it.
- Spent my Tuesday in the Leiden area, troubleshooting my dad’s Mac Mini (which used to be mine) and chatting with my sister about her business, as she’s looking into designing, producing and selling shirts and bags.
Average step count per day: 10.546
Average staircase count per day: 11
Average sleep per night: 7:12
Average weight: 89,5 kg