Diegetic and non-diegetic
Notes on week 870
- 870 21 september 2015 EN
With these weeknotes I track and archive whatever it is I spend my time on. They’re public so you can keep me in check.
Last week I spent a large chunk of my time finishing the Gamious grant proposal I talked about the previous week. Tuesday was the most productive, as Pim Bouman and I locked ourselves into a white room in the Dutch Game Garden and got most of the document down pat. We did it in the end, which is pretty cool; now let’s hope we get the money too.
Geometry Girl made some progress too. I visited SonicPicnic on Wednesday, listening to some exploratory audio demos they’d made; some sounding quite literal, others quite abstract; or as I’ve learned to call them, diegetic and non-diegetic. Across the board it was really interesting to hear my ideas come to life.
I also sent off two chapters of the book text to my editor Sander at Atlas Contact; I’m curious what he has to say about them. To top it all off, I discovered Renew the Book, which seems to be right up my alley; I started thinking about an approach to apply. It seems like it may’ve come a bit too early for me, or like maybe I’m too slow. I think I need a co-founder.
What else? I…
- Visited the Hubbub studio for a Vrije Vogels kids’ museum game sprint retrospective. Tim and Kars were there live, while Alper checked in as a FaceTime tripod unit. This sprint was shorter, so there was less to talk about; also we’re done for now but might jump back in soon.
- Got around to paying bills and sending out invoices. Financial karma FTW.
- #hobbydevved with Hessel, this time tinkering with a variant of the roguelike I worked on before. Mostly, though, we tried to update our phones to iOS 9, which fits with the theme of a hobby night for adult children.
- Saw the band Beirut in former church / music venue Paradiso with my wife.
- Helped out NRC Q reporter Maike van Leeuwen by answering a few questions about my old friend Super Mario’s popularity, as the plumber extraordinaire turned thirty. I have an urge to write more about Mario, but when?
- Didn’t get to visit Two Tribes and work on RIVE, but the team did release a new video update.
Average step count per day: 9.758
Average staircase count per day: 12
Average sleep per night: 6:29
Average weight: 89,0 kg