The best game ever
Notes on week 883
- 883 24 december 2015 EN
With these weeknotes I track and archive whatever it is I spend my time on. They’re public so you can keep me in check.
This round of weeknotes is late and short, holidays and all. Last week I…
- Spent two days at Two Tribes, as part of my end-year sprint to fill RIVE with all my story stuff. Unlike what the word ‘sprint’ suggests, it’s a slow (and steady) process.
- Visited Hoog + Diep to check out Tjeerd’s progress on the Geometry Girl app, and to discuss his final week on the project.
- Listened to the Christmas episode of literary audio magazine Ondercast, which features a story I wrote and recorded, at around the 58 minutes mark: De man die alles wist. I was pleased by how that one turned out, and the rest of the podcast is enjoyable too.
- Posted a short interview about SpeedRunners on the DGA platform.
- Edited a new Antegods blog post for Codeglue.
- Wrote an outline and a draft for a talk I’ll be doing next year, and got together with my coaches to discuss it further.
- Helped judge a student’s final-year project at the HKU in Hilversum. For even more projects, I checked out the school’s Showcase.
- Saw the new Star Wars movie, which was exciting. For a while it had just the right energy and tone, and it even occurred to me that it could be better than the old movies with a more complete picture of the universe (for example, showing a scavenger’s actual work). I really liked the film’s premise, which I’m glad hadn’t been spoiled for me; as a major Girls fan I dug Adam Driver as Kylo Ren; and I enjoyed the Rey character (while the ex-stormtrooper was strangely sane). However, I was put off by some of the Millennium Falcon / Han Solo / mega Death Star stuff; Tony Zhou hits the nail on the head as to why. Mostly though, I look forward to more new Star Wars!
- Played Diplomacy, aeons after one of my earliest internet memories, reading an article by Greg Costikyan calling it the best game ever. It was certainly interesting, with the simple rules and all the negotiating, and I think I may have learned something about European politics in the early 20th century. We played for about seven hours before declaring a stalemate between the four remaining countries.
Average step count per day: 12.918
Average staircase count per day: 15
Average sleep per night: 7:32
Average weight: 88,3 kg