- 842 9 maart 2015 EN
What’s this? I’m blogging about my work on a weekly basis – a simple way to track and archive whatever it is I spend my time on.
Lots of Antegods stuff last week, the team-based shooter I’m helping out on. On Monday I joined Peter de Jong of Codeglue for some meetings in Amsterdam, at the Creative Europe Desk NL (for advice on a grand application) and the Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences (where they’re working on the procedural generation of levels). During the week I talked and thought about the game’s pitch a lot, which lead to a new draft during the weekend.
Lots of hybrid writer stuff too. On Tuesday I got acquainted with Koen Hilberdink at the KNAW, the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences, to exchange thoughts on the future of the expert’s opinion as well as various literature-related projects. That night I met up with Jaïn van Nigtevegt of Flavour for another good discussion on the hybrid writing adventures. And he told me about a cool concept too.
Later in the week, my upcoming Geometry Girl story workshop started taking shape, as Tim Hengeveld was sketching the characters. I also finished the book Literary Gaming by Astrid Ensslin and wrote an article about it for 609, the magazine of the Dutch Cultural Media Fund. I’m not making any literary games at the moment, but they’re definitely related to the research.
Finally, in the ‘random’ category, I…
- Tweaked some RIVE stuff, as the developers of this shooter/platformer were in San Francisco and Boston to show it off to press and players alike.
- Transcribed and edited my The Order: 1886 interview. It was published in nrc.next on Wednesday, together with a short review by Erwin Vogelaar. You can read it through Blendle (€).
- Wrote my third tech column for KIJK.
- Tinkered with shadows and additional tiles for my isometric crane game during #hobbydev, my weekly game development hobby night with Hessel. In other words, I wasn’t too productive.
- Met up with Robbert-Jan Schravenhoff of the HKU, a teaching coach who taught me some tricks of the trade which I’ll definitely try to use when I start teaching my writing class there this week.
- Visited the swanky new Dutch Game Garden offices for a Dutch Games Association meeting, about the online platform they’re going to launch.
Average step count per day: 5.028
Average staircase count per day: 10
Average weight: 89,7 kg