Future versions of me
Notes on week 861
- 861 20 juli 2015 EN
With these weeknotes I track and archive whatever it is I spend my time on. They’re public so you can keep me in check.
Last week my focus on Geometry Girl remained steady. I sorted notes, revised the schedule, added stuff to the app blueprint (but didn’t finish version 1.2), prepared new blogposts, updated the characters file, tweaked the outline… I also met up with Saskia and Tim to talk about the project’s visual component. First up: more detailed mock-ups of the app’s various screens.
Although I signed into the project’s Subversion repository at Codeglue for the first time and committed a very incomplete version of the text, one thing I didn’t do last week was write. I’m almost ready to start slamming down words, though; I hope I’ll be able to finish the first draft in early September.
I also finally finished and published the Hybrid Writer’s Podcast with Auke Hulst about his novel Slaap zacht, Johnny Idaho. By all means, subscribe to the podcast via iTunes (or leave a rating and a review).
One more hybrid writer’s note: the organisers of the open call for literary games I talked about last time officially announced the winners. As mentioned, these five projects are wide-ranging and promising; I can’t wait to see more of them.
Finally, in the ‘random’ category, I…
- Received the latest issue of popular science magazine KIJK, which contains my article on 3D graphics programming. I interviewed Michiel van der Leeuw of Guerrilla and Ton Roosendaal of Blender for this months ago; the piece was postponed because of slightly overlapping articles. But it’s in there now, and I’m happy with the end result. The piece is up on Blendle (€), but do check out the paper version. It looks way nicer.
- Visited Codeglue to discuss the gameplay of team-based battle arena platformer Antegods with fresh Codeglue employee Wytze Kamp (and veterans Peter and Tom).
- #hobbydevved on Wednesday with Hessel, fixing bugs in my exploration roguelike prototype that I’d left there for future versions of me. Not very exciting, but next time I should be able to jump into new stuff quite easily.
- Played board game Puerto Rico with friends on Friday, which was fun. I ended up third, but with just two points fewer than the winner.
- Welcomed a few visitors; my sister stayed over at the beginning of the week, and Jurjen Tiersma was here with his three sons during the weekend.
Average step count per day: 6.561
Average staircase count per day: 10
Average sleep per night: 6:29
Average weight: 90,4 kg