Stack of index cards
Notes on week 896
- 896 21 maart 2016 EN
With these weeknotes I publicly track and archive whatever it is I spend my time on.
After having had to be secretive about it for months, I can now announce that I will be at TEDxDelft next month. The idea is to do not just a talk, but the talk, so I’ve been trying to get the whole hybrid writer thing crammed into a compelling 9-minute presentation.
The process has been fun so far, working together with another speaker, Kiza Magendane, and two coaches. Last week I took the train to Leiden for another coaching session; I’d bought a stack of index cards a day before and used that to build a new iteration of what I’m doing. It’s still not quite what it should be, but we’re getting there.
What else? I…
- Went to Beeld en Geluid for the Gekko and Kameleon awards jury council. The awards are organised by CPNB, and are meant for digital children’s booklikes. There weren’t too many submissions, so we came to our decisions pretty quickly; the winners will be announced on April 7. As I was at Beeld and Geluid anyway, I dropped by the Dropstuff office, to talk with René and Gijs about their latest project and show them the Geometry Girl prototype.
- Visited picturesque Warmond to brainstorm an escape room. It’s early days but I may become its story director. Continuing the escape room theme I was interviewed by Adinda Akkermans for VPRO’s Nooit meer slapen. The item is in the March 19th episode, at the 1:11 mark.
- Got acquainted with fellow writer Philip Huff, showing him the prototype, discussing possibilities and figuring out where literature is going.
- Met up with Dore, the creative writing student I’m coaching for her graduation project. Over the last month, she did a ton of work on her interactive novel. We discussed what’s there now, and what’s still left to do.
- Had coffee and took a walk with Menno, talking mostly about focus, like last time. We decided to do this monthly from now on, if our schedules permit it.
- Did a bunch of work on my systems: inboxes, project lists, contacts, schedules, research repositories. This may seem boring, but it was gratifying to get some of it sorted out.
- Had a long weekend with my daughters, as my wife was away. We visited the new Nijntje Museum and watched Bolt, among other things.
Average step count per day: 9.786
Average staircase count per day: 15
Average sleep per night: 6:26
Average weight: 86,5 kg